Brisbane Workshops and Kids Art Classes
Our workshops are geared for both boys and girls.
We focus on design and construction using a range of materials.
We create items that are not only fun to make, they are sturdy and practical - No pasta necklaces in sight at our venue!
Finally a creative craft session suitable for both genders.
& Woodwork's cool! for homeschoolers
A term long program offering guided self-led learning of tools and methods required to construct with wood.
Wednesday afternoons from 3.30 - 5.00
or 12.30-2.00 for homeschoolers
For more information or to book
This is for children from 7 to 13yrs who have a real interest in Making and How things work. We teach them concepts of design in a fun learning, playful environment.
Thursday afternoons for a 10 week block
For more information or to book
Tinker Fun for Little Ones
Every Wednesday morning from 9.30 till 11.30, kids 3 and over can learn to use basic tools to make simple toys and play.
Come for a coffee and a chat while the kids explore.
Why Woodworking Is So Good For Learning
(As found on the The New England Association of Woodworking Teachers (NEAWT) Website)
21 Reasons Why School Wood Shops are Important in the 21st Century
A quality woodworking program provides experiences far more important than those
typically associated with woodshop. Courses, like woodworking, where students use their
hands build confidence, strength of character, and problem solving capabilities useful in all
careers and in every educational experience. Furthermore, working with a natural material
in a creative manner assists students in connecting the relevance of other subject material
to their daily lives.
1. Assists students in communicating and understanding ideas non-verbally, through sketches and technical drawings.
2. Enhances the skills of spatial visualization required for geometry, trigonometry and algebra, thereby helping students to prepare
for careers in engineering, architecture and science.
3. Provides students with take-home, physical evidence of their mastery of skills.
4. Instils a pride of accomplishment and self-esteem.
5. Gives the student the opportunity to execute precise work and to produce useful products, and become “self-assessors” using
measuring tools, squares, etc. and then the fit of things to self-assess the quality of their work.
6. Trains the eye and hand to see accurately and to feel the sense of beauty in form.
7. Inculcates the habits of attention, perseverance and patience.
8. Offers opportunities for students to go where their hearts demand by selecting designs and
projects that motivate them not only as a woodworker but also as a student.
9. Provides opportunities for students to overcome setbacks that occur when working on real objects.
10. Provides relevancy of other subject matter to their lives, thereby preparing them for a lifetime of learning.
11. Provides non-academic areas for demonstration of skills and pursuit of excellence.
12. Provides a non-contrived opportunity for engagement of multiple intelligences.
13. Provides an opportunity to engage physically and actively in learning exercises.
14. Provides an opportunity for engagement and success even for those disinclined for academic involvement.
15. Helps students gain confidence as real world problem solvers.
16. Helps students gain confidence in tools use and learn safety considerations required for a career,
lifetime of general home maintenance or a life-long hobby.
17. Offers an appreciation for the values inherent in physical labor and the work contributions of others.
18. Connects students to thousands of years of human creative endeavor.
19. Provides a much-needed break from oppressive classroom routine.
20. Helps students to better understand the sources and process of technological change, placing
human development in historical context.
21. Is a class that students enjoy!
Benefits of Kids Art Workshops with a Difference
Design Thinking Approach
Make&Meld's workshops introduce kids to the design-thinking approach. This gives them skills to problem solve and to come up with creative and innovative ideas and to bring those ideas to life. By using a creative lens for approaching problems, your children will design and create innovative, sustainable and user-friendly products or artworks.
They will take home a creation that has function and form that has a practical purpose at home.
The engaging and innovative workshops are designed to provide a great opportunity for kids to build on cross-curricular holistic learning and to develop skills such as critical thinking, creativity and collaboration while having fun in a supportive environment.
STEAM Educational Learning
Make&Meld's creative design workshops link together art and creative thinking with principles of science, technology, engineering and maths. We make learning fun and provide opportunities for children to use their knowledge and skills in ways that are practical, hands-on and applicable to the real world.
Sustainable and Ethical
We focus on environmentally responsible use of materials and inquiry into the environmental and social cost of resources. Our workshops aim to cultivate environmental ethics and explore waste reduction and other environmental issues through the arts.
Creativity and Hands-on Learning
Make&Meld's workshops inspire participants to tap into their creativity, to play and to develop hands-on creative design and making skills.